Thursday, October 27, 2011

LORAIN'S COUNTY FAMILY LOSES LOVED ONE WHILE LOCAL HOSPICE MAKES THAT TRAGEDY EVEN WORSE--IF SUCH A THING IS POSSIBLE!

     I hate to be vulgar, especially in print, but I assure you that a front-page story in The Morning Journal (Wednesday, October 26th edition) has made me so angry that I want to spit!  As a probate attorney, and also as a person whose only sibling (my brother) passed away in a hospice in 2008, and whose husband passed away in another hospice in 2010, the story immediately interested me.  But imagine my shock at discovering that the family involved in this story are people that I know--in fact, I had just called to offer my condolences a few minutes before reading the article.
     I will not unnecessarily relate all the details in this post, since they are readily available online--complete with video--to any of you who wish to read the article.  In brief, let me tell you that a 60-year-old man named Vernon Kapucinski was dying in a Lorain County hospice.  His family had been visiting with him regularly but, a day or two before he passed away, one of the nurses started giving the brother and the children of the patient a hard time, telling them that they had to know a "secret code", in order to be allowed to visit Mr. Kapucinski.  The bottom line of the story is that the patient died ALONE!  When his daughter confronted one of the nurses on the telephone, demanding to know how such a thing had happened, and why her father had to die alone, while family members were attempting to be admitted to his room, the nurse told the daughter "He didn't die alone.  I was with him."  Such arrogance is beyond unbelievable!  Forgive me for not having words elegant enough to better describe this horrible situation but, as I said above, I am so angry at the moment that I could....YOU CAN COMPLETE THIS SENTENCE WITH ANY WORD OR WORDS THAT YOU FEEL ARE APPROPRIATE.

No comments:

Post a Comment