Friday, October 7, 2011

ANOTHER STORY OF PEOPLE FINDING EACH OTHER

     Back in August, I had several positive comments on a true story I told you about two long-lost brothers who, against all odds, found each other.  So I decided to tell you another true story.  This story took place over twenty years ago when I was contacted by a woman who told me that she was, at that time, 69 years old, and that she had been searching for her biological mother for 50 years--since she was just nineteen.  She told me that she had been given up for adoption as an infant, but had never been adopted.  Instead she had grown up in an orphanage until the age of eighteen.
     She asked me if I could possibly assist her in finding her birth mother.  I said that I would try, and collected the information that she had been able to gather over the previous fifty years.  Back then, there were not the amazing number of computer aids that are available today.  Nonetheless, after quite a bit of research, I finally located her birth mother--a woman in her eighties who had given birth to her daughter when she was only  fourteen years of age.
     I contacted the mother and told her that the child she had given up sixty-nine years earlier had been searching for her for the past fifty years!  The mother declared that she considered this a miracle, and that she, herself, had never married, had no other children, and had been wishing, all through the years, to be reunited with her child.  So of course I called her daughter, who lived in Cleveland, and told her that I had found her mother--living in Detroit--and that her mother would be delighted to be reunited with her.  The daughter said, "I'll be in the car and on the road with the next few minutes!"
      Later that day, a Sunday in May, the daughter called me from Detroit to tell me that she was with her mother, and that they were both overjoyed by their reunion.  I wished them the best and hung up the phone.  After hanging up, I suddenly realized that, not only was it a lovely Sunday in May but, by coincidence, or who knows why, it was also Mother's Day!  I still smile to myself whenever I recall that day, and thought that reading about it might make some of you smile, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment