Saturday, October 8, 2011

BOB HOPE'S FIRST JOB!

     I'm sure that all of you know that the late, great comedian, Bob Hope was from Cleveland.  But here's something that I'll bet you don't know:  I grew up being told that Orlando's Bakery started with Mrs. Orlando, who lived across the street from my grandfather's house on Woodland Avenue in Cleveland, baked the best Italian bread around.  It was so good that the people in the neighborhood started asking her to sell them a loaf.  Pretty soon, Mrs. Orlando was baking dozens of loaves every week and selling them to the neighbors.  Rather than delivering them herself, she hired two little guys from around the corner to deliver the bread out of their little red wagon--made from wood in those days.  The two little guys that she hired?  My uncle and his little buddy, Robert Leslie Hope--later to be known as Bob Hope!  Orlando's Bakery and Bob Hope--just two of Cleveland's many success stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment