Monday, May 14, 2012

MY REFLECTIONS REGARDING MOTHER'S DAY

     I consider myself very fortunate to be a Mom--and now to be "Grandma Peggy", as well.  But yesterday I found myself giving a lot of thought to Mother's Day, not just with regard to my own status, but to the status of others, too.  They say that there are more phone calls made on Mother's Day than on any other day of the year.  This is a good thing.  It indicates that a huge number of people are calling their mothers, and perhaps their grandmothers, as well.
     When I was a child and a young adult, however, I was taught to do more than that.  I was told that I should also wish a Happy Mother's Day to all of my aunts--and especially those who had never been fortunate enough to have children.
     Nowadays, although my own mother is gone, along with my aunts, I make it a point to wish a Happy Mother's Day to unrelated people in cases where I know that, although they have adult children, those children will--for whatever reason--neglect to make that Mother's Day call.  Unfortunately, in today's topsy-turvy world, there seem to be many cases of children "forgetting" their mothers--even on Mother's Day.  Also, in a world where divorce and remarriage have become the norm, rather than the rare exception, should we not consider calling those stepmothers who, in some cases, have been as nurturing to their stepchildren as a biological mother.
     The bottom line--to all the women everywhere who are mothers, stepmothers, aunts, neighbors and/or friends--to those women who have children, and to those who wish they did, let me offer a belated Happy Mother's Day.  It would be my hope that some of you who read this post may give some thought to broadening the list of those to whom you offer this yearly greeting.
     By the way, when June rolls around, my opinion on Father's Day is the same with regard to all the gentlemen who are fathers, grandfathers, stepfathers, and to those who always wished they were!

No comments:

Post a Comment